Offering you opportunities to explore ideas, history, and culture
The Wisconsin Humanities Council supports and creates programs that use history, culture, and discussion to strengthen community life for everyone in Wisconsin.
Sign up to receive our e-newsletter!
More about the Wisconsin Humanities Council:
- Established in 1972 as an independent affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH).
- Today, fifty-six state humanities councils exist in fifty states, three territories, two commonwealths, and the District of Columbia. The state affiliates were founded in order to encourage local and statewide public humanities programs and to help state residents use the tools of the humanities to thoughtfully discuss current public policy issues.
- A nonprofit, nonpartisan organization governed by a volunteer board of directors who come from across the state.
- Since our founding, a special relationship with University of Wisconsin – Extension has provided the WHC with some UWEX fiscal, business, and other services.
- Twenty-five volunteer board members hail from all parts of the state.
- The Council seeks members whose experience, training, interests, skills, cultural background, and community ties bring diversity, energy, and expertise to our programs. Approximately half of the Council’s membership is drawn from the academic community and half from the community at large. New members are ordinarily elected to three-year terms at the Council’s February meeting, and assume office in June. Six members are appointed by the Governor. Feel free to nominate yourself or someone you know with the WHC Board Nomination Form
- About Us
- Grant Program
- Funding Priorities
- Involving Humanities Experts
- Oral History Guidelines
- Digital Humanities Planning
- Tips for Grant Writers
- Resources for Grant Recipients
- Recently Funded Projects
- Pick a Talk
- Current Programs
- Past Programs
- Sample page using the new Bobbette custom theme
- Subscription Confirmation
- What does the WHC do?
- Error 404
Help support the Wisconsin