Save NEH Funding
The humanities in Wisconsin are in danger.
The Wisconsin Humanities Council receives about 90 percent of its funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH). Thanks to those funds, we support the creative work of schools, libraries, museums, churches, historical societies, colleges and civic groups that strengthen communities big and small, rural and urban, in every region of Wisconsin. Here are some examples of projects we have funded!
In the current federal budget, the NEH received $148 million – including the funds they grant to the Wisconsin Humanities Council. The President’s budget for FY2018 calls for shutting down the NEH. What happens to the NEH, and the Wisconsin Humanities Council, is in the hands of our representatives in Congress.
If NEH funding is lost, with it go all of our matching grants to community organizations. All of Wisconsin will lose outstanding educational programs inspired by the needs and interests of people in every corner of the state – programs that help us explore our past, understand the present, and imagine the future. Programs that nourish us in our lives, and feed the nation’s soul.
- Please visit, call, email and write your senators and house representative and encourage them to continue supporting the essential, ongoing cultural work of the Wisconsin Humanities Council. Visiting and calling are best, but emails and letters are great, too. Use these tools for emailing and writing in support of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Describe how a program you attended was enlightening, educational or inspiring to your community.
- Thank elected officials for the funding that made the program possible.
- Urge elected officials to make the humanities a cornerstone of public life by continuing to support funding for the NEH.
- Join the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #SavetheNEH and share why the humanities matter to you. Please like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. And add the #SavetheNEH banner to your Facebook profile picture here!
Find your Representatives
Wisconsin has 8 Congressional District Seats in the House of Representatives:
Don’t know your district? Find it here.
- 1st Paul Ryan 1-888-909-RYAN (7926)
- 2nd Mark Pocan (202) 225-2906
- 3rd Ron Kind (202) 225-5506
- 4th Gwen Moore (202) 225-4572
- 5th Jim Sensenbrenner (202) 225-5101
- 6th Glenn Grothman (202) 225-2476
- 7th Sean Duffy (202) 225-3365 or (855) 585-4251 (toll-free)
- 8th Mike Gallagher (202) 225-5665
If you need additional information, or if you would like to talk about a contact that you made, please email our executive director, Dena Wortzel, or call (608) 265-5593.
- About the Wisconsin Humanities Council
- Error 404
- Grant Program
- Funding Priorities
- Involving Humanities Experts
- Oral History Guidelines
- Digital Humanities Planning
- Tips for Grant Writers
- Resources for Grant Recipients
- Recently Funded Projects
- Current Programs
- Past Programs
- Sample page using the new Bobbette custom theme
- Subscription Confirmation
- talk test
Help support the Wisconsin