Thanks for your interest in creating space for the important and complicated conversations we need to have about immigration in Wisconsin.
Los Lecheros is a carefully researched 20-minute documentary film that explores rising tensions over undocumented dairy workers. We are proud to be offering screenings of the film, produced by The Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism and Twelve Letter Films, followed by facilitated discussions for any group interested in organizing a community event.
ABOUT THE FILM:
The fate of undocumented immigrant workers and Wisconsin’s $43 billion dairy industry are closely intertwined. On Wisconsin dairy farms today immigrants make up a majority of the workforce. Many farmers say that deporting workers would harm the industry. At a time when the status of undocumented workers in the U.S. is the focus of frequently emotional and sometimes inaccurate debate, and when U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) arrests in Wisconsin in 2018 made more residents see immigration as an issue that affects their lives, “Los Lecheros” offers an accurate, personal Wisconsin story that reveals some of the challenges of immigration. The documentary, produced by The Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism and Twelve Letter Films, explores the tensions over immigration that have risen since 2016 and chronicles their impact on the livelihood and lives of undocumented dairy workers and dairy farmers in Wisconsin.
Watch the trailer of “Los Lecheros”
We want to help! Contact us today to get started!
- We ask that events be free and open to the public. They must take place before November 1, 2019.
- We will connect you with someone who can facilitate conversation after the screening.
- You will be required to fill out an online form to secure your reservation by September 15, 2019.
- There will be no cost to your organization.
- We ask that you credit the Wisconsin Humanities Council in your promotions.
- Please aim for 20+ audience members. We can share resources to help with event promotion.
- You will be required to fill out a Host Evaluation Form after the event.