Thanks for your interest in creating space for the important and complicated conversations we need to have about immigration in Wisconsin.
Laurie Greenberg has a PhD in cultural geography from UW-Madison and has worked and lived both in the US and in Mexico. Today she lives in Madison, Wisconsin and works as a freelance researcher and writer. She has extensive experience working with immigrants and conducting educational programs for diverse groups in the U.S. and in 13 Latin American and Caribbean countries.
WHAT SHE TALKS ABOUT:
For most of the 20th Century, the United States was described as a cultural melting pot. Immigrants were assumed to arrive, assimilate, and gradually melt into American society. Today we talk about immigrants, and immigration, in different terms. These terms acknowledge the ways in which immigrants engage in work life and the economy, as well as social and educational systems. This ‘integration’ changes both the immigrants themselves, as well as the community they find themselves in. We might call this a potluck, where a diversity of languages, cuisines, surnames, religions, and partners coexist and form a community ‘meal.’ Each of us has our own stories. What have you observed, or experienced? Laurie will share some of her stories and research to facilitate a conversation about immigration and integration in Wisconsin, and how it affects you and your community.
Laurie Greenberg also shares stories in a talk called “Becoming a Citizen.”
WE WANT TO HELP! Contact us today to get started!
- We ask that events be free and open to the public.
- We will connect you with Laurie Greenberg so you can work with her to find a date and time that works.
- You will be required to fill out an online form to secure your reservation.
- The Wisconsin Humanities Council will pay Laurie Greenberg an honorarium; there will be no cost to your organization.
- We ask that you credit the Wisconsin Humanities Council in your promotions.
- Please aim for 20+ audience members. We can share resources to help with event promotion.
- You will be required to fill out a Host Evaluation Form after the event.