TIP: When you find a talk you are interested in, contact the presenter directly to discuss date and time. The next step is to Book It online.
Becoming a Citizen
presented by Laurie S. Z. Greenberg
People who are born in the U.S. are automatically granted citizenship. A naturalized citizen is a person who was born in another country but has lawfully become a citizen of the United States under the U.S. Constitution and laws. What are the rights and privileges that come with citizenship? Do naturalized citizens enjoy all of them? And what are the responsibilities? Laurie will open this conversation with information about the naturalization process and who is eligible to apply. She will prompt an open, self-reflective discussion about what makes someone a good citizen, what some of the barriers are to citizenship, why they exist, and some of the reasons why the nine million immigrants in the U.S. who are eligible are not applying for citizenship.
Book This Talk
- Consider planning an event. Here are some things to think about.
- When you are ready to invite the presenter, click here to email this ShopTalk presenter.
- After the presenter has accepted your invitation, go here to Book the Event. (Note: this step is required. It makes it possible for us to pay the presenter and publicize your event)
Laurie S. Z. Greenberg
Laurie Greenberg has a PhD in cultural geography from UW-Madison and has worked and lived both in the US and in Mexico. Today she lives in Madison, Wisconsin and works as a freelance researcher and writer. She has extensive experience working with immigrants and conducting educational programs for diverse groups in the U.S. and in 13 Latin American and Caribbean countries.
Hosting this Presenter?
Applicants/hosts should read the PLAN EVENT page before contacting a speaker.
- About Us
- Grant Program
- Funding Priorities
- Involving Humanities Experts
- Oral History Guidelines
- Digital Humanities Planning
- Tips for Grant Writers
- Resources for Grant Recipients
- Recently Funded Projects
- Current Programs
- Past Programs
- Sample page using the new Bobbette custom theme
- Subscription Confirmation
- What does the WHC do?
- Error 404
Help support the Wisconsin